12 Tips On How To Grow Your Natural Hair

To grow natural hair is simple but not everyone knows this.:

The secret is out, black girls can have healthy, kinky, curly, coily, LONG hair!!! Our hair does grow, at least 1/4th to ½ inch per month, but the key is GROWTH RETENTION.
Growth retention simply means that although your hair does grow every month you have to take those steps necessary to keep your hair healthy & thriving to avoid breakage. This means you have to take care of your ends which are the oldest part of the hair making it easier to break. So how can I retain my length?

Rule#1 Shampoo or Co-Wash at least once a week or every other week

Whether you chose to wash with a shampoo or conditioner, in order to avoid product build up consider washing your hair at least once a week. I know most of you may have been taught that washing your hair dries it out…FALSE!! Natural hair requires water for moisture and to prevent breakage!!! It’s simple, water is now your new best friend and your dry hair depends upon it in order to flourish! Now because you need a clean healthy scalp for hair growth to occur washing the hair is an absolute must but be sure to use a Sulfate-Free moisturizing shampoo or conditioner to avoid stripping the hair of its natural oils.

Rule#2 Deep Condition your hair with a protein or moisturizing conditioner

In order to prevent breakage and to keep your hair moisturized, a weekly deep conditioning is a MUST!! You can either deep condition your hair with plastic cap under the dryer for a 20-30 minutes or without heat for at least one hour; again this should be done at least once per week. If needed, you can do a protein treatment at least every 6 weeks or whenever the hair feels very limp, mushy, overly soft etc.

Rule#3 Detangle the hair after applying conditioner.

Tangles lead to breakage. Always detangle wet hair with a wide tooth comb or denman brush after conditioner has been applied to hair.

Rule#4 Rinse hair with cool water

Your final rinse should be with cool water to close the hair cuticles. This is also a good time to do an ACV Rinse. ACV rinses help to remove some types of build-up from the hair while also closing the hair cuticles. Try to think of your hair as being made up of rows of shingles, like you’d see on a roof. These hair shingles, or cuticles, can be in an “open” position, which makes the hair strand feel rough to the touch and look dull. Being that hair has a naturally low (slightly acidic) pH, things like vinegar rinses can help close the hair cuticle and lock in moisture. ACV rinse can remove product buildup, restore the pH balance of the scalp and hair, and promote blood circulation in the scalp–which can stimulate new hair growth–and give the hair a soft, healthy sheen.

Apple Cider Vinegar Mix
1-2 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 cups room temperature distilled water

Rule#5 Always use a water based leave-in conditioner.

After deep conditioning your hair you should ALWAYS apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair to retain moisture. A good leave-in is one that is water based.

Rule#6 Keep your hair moisturized!

Kinky, curly hair is the easiest to break when dry that is why it is crucial to keep your hair moisturized at all times. Because the ends of your hair are the oldest and are more prone to breakage you should focus on moisturizing and sealing your ends every day. After applying your leave-in conditioner apply a water based moisturizer then seal the moisture in with an oil and/or butter to trap moisture in the hair.

***Feel free to thank me later!

Rule#7 Air Dry or Limit the use of direct heat.

Stay away from pressing combs which can easily burn the hair. Opt for a tourmaline / ceramic iron to straighten your hair. Natural hair wearers sometime misjudge how damaging heat can be. The use of direct heat will at some point result in heat damage. Always remember to apply a heat protectant such as grape seed oil before using heat. Heat should only be used on clean hair.

Rule#8 Wear protective styles.

Protective styles are worn to protect the ends of the hair which are the oldest and are more prone to breakage. When wearing a protective style, hair ends are tucked away, protecting them from rubbing against your shirt collar and/or being exposed to heat, the sun, or cold drying air. Styles may include two strand twists, flat twist, braids, buns, up-dos, weaves, or any style that helps to protect the ends of your hair. Protective styling is a good way to maintain growth retention.

When wearing a protective style, stay away from wool collars or hats.
Staying away from wool collars and hats is a good idea if you want to prevent breakage. The constant rubbing of the wool against the hair will surely result in breakage at that particular area. If you must wear wool, I suggest that you line the inside of the hat and/or collar with a satin scarf.

Rule#9 Know the difference between breakage and shedding.

If you see a white bulb (hair follicle) at the end of the hair strand, this would be considered normal shedding. If you don’t see the follicle this may be considered hair breakage.

Rule#10 Protect your hair at night.

Always sleep in a silk/satin scarf or bonnet or use a silk/satin pillow case. Sleeping with a cotton scarf or pillowcase will cause the hair to dry out. Cotton is very absorbent and will absorb moisture from the hair.

Rule#11 Keep your natural ends trimmed.

You don’t have to trim as often as those who have chemically processed hair. This is only because the cuticle portion of the hair strand has not been exposed to chemicals and will take longer to split. I would suggest clipping your ends every 3-6 months. If you are natural and wearing color, I would definitely trim a little more often to prevent breakage. An easy way to trim your own hair is to try the two strand twist method. After twisting to the end, clip off 1/4th to ½ inch. Perform this on each twist until all of your hair is clipped. It is harder to detect split ends on natural hair but they do exist.

Rule#12 Do not comb dry hair while it is dry.

You should only comb your hair while it is in its wet state. This will remarkably cut don’t on any breakage that you may be experiencing and result in a thicker head of hair. Always use a wide tooth comb. (The only exception to this rule is if you are wearing your hair in a straight style which should be infrequent.) If you are wearing twist-outs, braid outs, bantu knot sets, afro puffs etc., you should be finger combing your hair on a daily basis and not combing it.

Rule#13 Exercise and eat a well-balanced diet rich in vitamin and minerals.

This not only benefits your hair but it also benefits your whole body! Try to drink lots of water. If your body is dehydrated then so is your hair.

Rule#14 Avoid hair stylist who don’t value healthy hair.

Some stylist focus more on hair ‘styling’ and less on hair ‘health’. Find a stylist who specializes in healthy hair. If your stylist is scissor happy, heat happy or chemical happy…you will never see any results.

Remember to be patient, consistent, and have fun!!

All the natural hair babes @fola @Aniekan @ogeh47 @Sucre @ruthameh125 @Yeye this is for you…

Culled from naturalhairfanatic.com

Thank you for this. The journey is not easy and God knows o am.running out of patients
God help everyone of us.

Rule #15 ; Its products doesn’t come cheap. whistling along

Lol. It is not as expensive as the time put in to grow the hair.

Lol. Very true.

Lots of water, shea Butter ,Egg,Honey,Olive Oil and low manipulation
Don’t do things that will put strain on the hair and make it break
No drying out completely, leave damp and apply shea butter generously
You hair needs moisture and that’s what shea butter does… It seals the water for you and keep your hair hydrated all day
Once a week, I apply eggs like 2-3 depending on your hair length and volume , 1 spoon or 2 of raw honey, 1 spoon of olive oil/coconut oil… Mix and apply on the hair
I leave it on for like 30-45 minutes
I use Dudu OSU soap as shampoo to wash off
Them apply Coconut /olive oil after washing while still damp and after that apply melted shea butter …
Its easier to buy Olive Oil from stores or supermarkets
Coconut oil is sold in local markets or you do it yourself
Those people who sell shea butter sometimes sells Coconut Oil (but its rare to get undiluted one)
Its Adin Agbon in Yoruba

@fola you can apply heat on your hair atleast twice a month for now cos of the thickness. Just section your hair Into 3 parts, apply ur moisturizer and leave in conditioner ( either dark n lovely product or cantu product), then use a round brush to pull It out while applying heat from your hand dryer.

images (2)

Round brush

Thanks for the tips Precious and @oluwakemisola. I really can’t wait to be able to pack my hair sef.

This is a cheap better way to grow and maintain natural hair, Thanks @oluwakemisola and @pretyprexy

I’ll advice you prepare mentally, cos trust me there will be bad hair days when your hair is just standing there or seem not to be growing no matter what you do, or days when you’ll put in effort to make Bantu knot or a twist out on your hair and it just wont come out well. @oluwakemisola @Aniekan and other Kinky head can relate to this.

Thank you so much for these tips.

Personally, I’m not much of a product junkie but Nature’s Gentle Touch is one brand that has helped me in fighting dandruff (kuz I have very full hair) and reducing breakage.

@Yeye always keep head scarfs handy and learn simple and cute headwrap styles.

Some days you’re in a hurry and your hair just decides to mess up, you can come up with something creative and pretty with the scarfs.

Depending on length tho, always keep your hair in braids or twists so it doesn’t tangle and you can always throw on a wig if something impromptu crops up and also it is stretched and has curls if you wanna style it.

Personally, wigs are my best friend.
In as much as protective styles are good for length retention, I avoid styles that put pressure on my scalp causing my edges to disappear.

please, help us invent the bookmark feature @Zegist. I really need to bookmark this page

cc: @evansakanno @oluwarufus

This is super true…all said works like magic…and I love rocking my natchie look…How can I upload pictures here…?:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

With the above I just read, shey I won’t join Natural hair gang bayi?

It’s just that I’m afraid if I cut my hair, it might not grow again. My front hairs are so gone (hereditary though, we all got it from our parents), I dare not go out without tying a scarf or turban (it’s that bad).
So, how am I sure it’ll grow again if I cut it?

I’ve decided to stop adding relaxer, avoid braids/Ghana weaving and any other styles that put pressure on my edges, hoping it’ll help.

I need advice biko. Cc @fola @aniekan and other natural hair rockers, what do you think I can do about this?

Oh yeah,
If you’re using a phone:
Click reply, there is the upload tab, just click, search for documents, and find the picture and upload.

For a laptop:
Click reply, there’s an arrow key at the top of the reply box, click on it, and upload file…

Try it and give me a feedback.

Lets Talk About You

@Mopelola_Ariyo… Shea butter is a natural booster too…though…I stopped using it since I discovered Cantu products for natchie hair…you can try the SB and add some weed if you can lay your hands on it…#make dem no catch you…no be me send you​:joy::grin::grinning:#

hahaha and someone gave me weed to add to hair cream and use. I dunno how i misplaced it gan. I’ll start using shea butter sha.
Thanks

This a right step to take, you might also consider massaging natural oils like coconut oil and others you can afford to your edges. The good thing is you don’t necessarily have to cut your hair to go natural, you can transit by not adding relaxer to your hair again. The relaxed part will fall off as time passes. Most natural heads compare their hair length, texture and color with someone else’s but the truth is, our hair’s beautiful and different in it own way, you just gatta love, embrace and fine a way around your hair. @oluwakemisola an expert on his.

Uwc bhet go and look for your weed…we can declare state of emergency…nah…In search of your missing weed…:joy::grin::grinning::smile::sweat_smile: