He wants co-ownership of my properties and assets

Yesterday, I read a Facebook post (I can’t rememberthe name of the poster).

He was asking married and unmarried women what they would do if they had assets before they got married and after getting married their husband asks them to make him a co-owner of all the assets she had before they married.

He also asked how the men will feel or react if their wife refuses.

This could go both ways.
Ladies and gentlemen, would you do any of these?

1. Would you accept to make your husband/wife a co-owner of all the assets you had before you got married to him/her?

2. Would you accept to make your husband/wife a co-owner of all the assets you acquire after getting married to your husband/wife?

Do you think it’s selfishness to say no?
Do you think it’s wrong to ask for such?

@Precious_Chika_Danie @Peacehoney @pretyprexy @Aniekan @Aje @iamtosyne @W.O @theunofficialomotayo @evansakanno @TosinAdekoya @oluwakemisola @Oluwarufus @Kiitan @Judy @Kachie @Drew @KubasuInyanya @Yeye @jyde247 @ruthameh125

2 Likes

As a man, I believe it’s wrong to ask/demand for such privilege. She’s your wife… Granted, but allow her do it of her own free will.
If as a man you get married to a lady billionaire,it will be morally wrong to demand she makes you co-owner of stuffs she’s worked for for years. Let her decide to do it by herself without you even asking.
But if it’s the other way round, it is her RIGHT as your wife to become a co-owner of all you’ve got. What if she betrays me and divorce me to get my stuff?.. Well, life goes on.

10 Likes

Wait @Jyde247, you are saying it’s a woman’s RIGHT to be a “co-founder” of everything a man has after marriage but a man’s LEFT with no choice than to allow her to decide and shouldn’t even ask?

What’s the source of this belief of yours? Who makes/inspire these rules?

10 Likes

My opinion however to this is whatever owned before marriage should still remain with its owner,except that which is owned after marriage which could have duo ownerships. Also every individual differs,what A wants or would love to do wholeheartedly, wouldn’t be same for B. Dassol!

3 Likes

I live by the "His Money, Our Money’ “My Money My Money” theory…

Nah, I can’t make him a co-owner of my assets and I don’t expect him to do the same whether it was acquired before or after marriage.

“JUST PROVIDE FOR THE FAMILY” and no one should lack anything… He can co-own with his kids…:woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I agree with @jyde247… Remember the saying, What belongs to a man is for himself and wife, but what belongs to the woman is for her… Its a long time rule… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Everybody should hold on to his own asset… Moreover when the money comes, its still everyone that will benefit from it biko…

3 Likes

Everybody should hold on to his own asset… Moreover when the money comes, its still everyone that will benefit from it biko…

1 Like

NO NO NO !!! what we acquired as individuals is our own… I don’t expect him to ask for co-ownership and I won’t ask for his assets either … Like @Drew said … PROVIDE for the family … Make sure we’re good and protected … We can acquire assets as a couple and have co-ownership on those ones

7 Likes

Well… This is just my opinion.
For single guys here, when you eventually get married… Whenever you’re broke (GOD forbid!) and you ask your wife for a little assistance, make SURE you give her back the money as soon as you have it! Even if she says : “Awww…honey I didn’t borrow you the money. I gave it to you. You know I love you and I’ll do anything for you” *yinmu… LOL!
Now the truth is, she actually gave you the money from her heart of hearts BUT just make sure you give it back.
Please don’t ask me to back this up with any theory o.

5 Likes

Plot twist… In Kenya according to the constitution if you have been cohabiting for 2 years or more you are considered legally married … We have plenty girlfriends claiming half of their boyfriend’s assets … and if you earn more than your man he can actually take you to court for spousal support ( pride won’t allow them to )

4 Likes

Sefini!!! With that we are good…

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: So just by staying with a boyfriend without being legally married can earn ladies his assests too? That’s quite cool…

2 Likes

Lol yep … You are considered living in matrimony … :joy::joy::joy:… We’ve had cases of women taking men to court for wasting their time and a false “promise to marry “ the most popular one I can remember was a lady who got close to 300,000 (roughly 1.1 mill naira) per month in her suit

2 Likes

He shouldn’t be the one to ask me to be a co-owner of my assets and properties. In fact it’s for further investment for the children. And his assets are his also (the ones he had before we met)…if he chooses to include me in them, fine. I won’t be the one to demand for it. But whatever we own when we meet belongs to both of us and our children. What’s all the fuss about anyways?

4 Likes

Eeerm sir @jyde247 it is not her right oh. Her right is whatever you both start making together. If u now choose to hand over everything you made to her before you got married…all good. Just pray for a wise and industrious woman who would invest it for posterity sake cos she knows money is not easy to come by.

1 Like

I love your subtle word play… Thank God for Prenuptial agreements sha. We live in a confused world where the man proposes to the Lady but it is the Lady that marries the man. where what the man has belongs to the woman but hers is hers. For me, I won’t ask for co-ownership and would gladly give mine

1 Like

Sheeeeet!!! I’m moving to Kenya… Are you serious that women are benefiting from cohabitation like this? What are we doing here in Nigeria… :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Its even safe to say that its partially the right of the children to get an inheritance from their parents… Hence, its entirely theirs…

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:… Kenyan men were running away from their responsibilities… So much so that the court system had to intervene … ask @NaijaLander he’ll tell you

4 Likes