#Heroines: Faith of our Nigerian mothers

well-behaved-women-rarely-make-history-eleanor-roosevelt

By this I do not mean ill-behaved women like Diezani Alison Madueke. I mean women who have stood up to defend the cause of women and the nation, Nigeria. They broke rules, defied authorities that did not encourage what was right, cared for the poor, and they achieved freedom for Nigeria and the women therein.

Here are some of them:
Margaret Ekpo
Alimotu Pelewura
Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti
Kudirat Abiola
Janet Ekundayo

7 Likes

she was no hero.

Margaret Ekpo was a women’s right activist and a pioneering female politicianat the nation’s first republic who fought against the discriminatory and oppressive political and civil role colonialism played in the subjugation of women.
She also teamed up with Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti to protest the killing of people at the Enugu Coal Mines in the 1950s. She played major roles as a grassroot and nationalist politician in the Eastern Nigerian city of Aba, in the era of an hierarchical and male-dominated movement towards independence, with her rise not the least helped by the socialization of women’s role into that of helpmates or appendages to the careers of males.

3 Likes

They didn’t make history because of the misogyny and the patriarchal society they were born into then. But we still manage to remember them for something

Some people even women believe that women are not supposed to speak or hold any important position in power as long as she has a man “Lording” over her.
Even in churches, they believe it is wrong for a women to be pastors and mount the pulpit. Churches run by women are believed to be doom and damnation.
@Opetunde correct me if I’m wrong

2 Likes

Alimotu Pelewura:
Reading about this woman made me realize that you do not need formal education to stand up for what is right. You only need to have a heart for the people.

Alimotu was a Nigerian trader and the leader of one of the most prestigious women’s organization during the colonial period called the Lagos Market women’s Association. This association led a riot against the British colonials during World War II because they wanted to place taxation on women and they won. Now this is not a feat just anyone would have even dared to attempt let alone win but she led a team and they did win.

Courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to act despite our fears.

5 Likes

Not all churches

First time hearing the name, had to go read about her

1 Like

Yea some…was gonna write some, definitely not all churches

1 Like

Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti
Funmilayo served with distinction as one of the most prominent leaders of her generation. She was also the first woman in the country to drive a car. Her political activism led to her being described as the doyen of female rights in Nigeria, as well as to her being regarded as “The Mother of Africa.” Early on, she was a very powerful force advocating for the Nigerian woman’s right to vote. She was described in 1947, by the West African Pilot as the “Lioness of Lisabi” for her leadership of the women of the Egba people on a campaign against their arbitrary taxation.

4 Likes

Kudirat Abiola
To answer you @NaijaLander :
Kudirat to me was a heroine and this is because she stood with her husband to support him when he ran for presidency and when he was imprisoned, she still stood by him and it was in standing by him that she was assassinated.

History made us to know that one of the wives of Former president Olusegun Obasanjo left him when he was imprisoned. How many women possess the courage to stand by their husbands during extremely tough times like that of MKO Abiola knowing that their lives were in danger?
kudirat

3 Likes

Janet Ekundayo: the most touching one of all
Referred to as the Mother Theresa of Africa, Mama Janet Ekundayo dedicated her life to taking care of orphans. She projected the meaning of her name, “Ekundayo,” which is translated to mean, “(my) tears has turned to joy.”
In 1969, Mama Ekundayo decided to dedicate the rest of her life to taking care of orphans and abandoned children. She took in the 469th child by 2007. By the year 2008; she had cared for over 500 children.

Let me add that it was TY Bello who discovered her in 2007.

mama-ekundayo

7 Likes

Food for thought: Apart from being a slay queen, what exactly do I want to be known for as a woman?

If you know any other woman who has done something remarkable in the history of Nigeria, please add it to the thread. Bless!

3 Likes

Judy you are so right.

Just like the opening quote I gave, “well-behaved women don’t make history.”

2 Likes

I feel Dora Akunyili should be on this list

3 Likes

Yes yes!!! She will definitely make history. And this doctor that died fighting Ebola,see? I don’t even know her name and it’s very bad.
This is why I say I can’t die for Nigeria. They will forget me the moment I’m gone.

3 Likes

Sad!! But things are changing

Slay queens make history. Okay, back to the header. :thinking:

1 Like

Dr Stella Adadevoh

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: It takes a selfless heart to stand for a right cause in Nigeria

3 Likes

Thank u @W.O