International students

Hi everyone. Am new here and this is my first post. Need assistance. To begin with am not a Nigerian, have no relative or friend in Nigeria and am planning to relocate to Nigeria next year (lagos town). Would like to further my studies there. Have done research on that still there is room for advice/opinions that will help me in planning and decision making. What are some of the universities located in Lagos that allow international students to join?Recommendations for international students prefering to join at graduate level please?
Thanks in advance

Hello @zegisters, can someone help our brother/sister with recommendations? Thanks!

Meanwhile, welcome, our dear bro/sis.

Are you a he or she, please?

Welcome.

So where are you from?

Why do you want to leave where you are and come further your education in Nigeria, are there no better universities there?

Nice questions

Thanks alot. Am a she

Am from Kenya. There are many good universities here no doubt. Just that with the change of location and time frame from now till next year can not start and complete a course. “Why do i move from Kenya to Nigeria?” Well, there are so many personal reasons to that. A change of environment is one of it.

Ha moniki

Gizzard wotapin?

Don’t you want people to come and school in our very beloved Nigeria?:wink:

:joy::joy::joy::joy: no comment

You are most welcome.

Lagos is a beautiful city however, I feel the need to warn you about the culture shock to expect.

You mentioned you are Kenyan, I used to live in Nairobi and the differences between both cities are these;

• Nairobians enjoy 24 hour electricity, most Lagosians do not have that luxury. Nigeria has a very weak power grid and most people here depend of generators (which are quite noisy). So if you can live with not having electricity at home for weeks at a time, sure, make the move.

• Nairobians enjoy better inner city roads and drainage facility. Again, Lagos’s inner city is not well built and secure. Most Nigerians live in gated estates which have curfews (your estate may decide to lock the gates at 10pm every night meaning if your someone who comes home late, you’ll have a hard time getting in). The roads are usually not paved like in Nairobi. It is not to say that there aren’t paved roads in Lagos, but they are usually commercial highways and commonly used raods, inner city roads (the roads infront of your house) are usually not tarmacked and it gets worse when it rains.

• Access to healthcare is also limited to people who can afford it. Nigerians have monetized every aspect of their society so money usually dictates whether or not you get what you want.

• Lagos noise is deafening. I suppose you’ll get used to it but just be prepared for generator noise, cars moving around advertising stuff via loud speaker.

• Lagosians are generally impatient. Some idiot last weekend insulted me because I refused to alight from the bus until it had made a full stop at the bus stop. You will find most people rude and loud.

I’d recommend 2 schools:

If you are looking to just breeze through your stay in Lagos, that is you don’t want wahala. Apply to the Pan Atlantic University. It’s a private institution around Epe (Epe is on the Island), most of the students I know there are usually better civilized than the average Nigerian.

If you want to experience the insanity of Lagos and Nigeria fully, go to the University of Lagos. They have more courses to offer.

Don’t get me wrong.

Nigeria is a beautiful fun place to be but one must be fully prepped when making decisions like this, if you can handle everything I mentioned above :point_up_2:t6:, then you’ll have a good stay, just don’t raise your expectations above anything I have mentioned above. I look forward to meeting to if you do decide to relocate here.

All the best!

Thanks Funsho for helping out with the recommendations!

Wow…thanks alot for the comprehensive explanation of how Lagos is. I trully appreciate. In my mind can now picture how lagos city is. Well in kenya i reside in mombasa.
Apart from the noise from the generator why do people advertise via vehicles using loud speakers? Is there no other way of advertisements apart from that?
Of the two universities you recommend l also appreciate the fact that you tried to outline the difference between the two. Let me enquire more about thr P.A.U.
Am yet to decide to move there under students visa or visit visa which will enable me to settle first,adapt to the environment abit before joining the classes.
Have a thousand and one questions to ask. Hope you would permit me to ask when i feel like and answer the same.

Of course. Feel free to ask any time, we’ll answer sincerely.

A visit before resuming school should get you used to the environment. You’ll like it once you get used to it.

UNILAG is a university owned by the federal government and like most government owned institutions, it has it’s problems. It is also the premier federal university in Nigeria so it’s not a bad place to school. It’s actually very well recognized internationally with a very vibrant student and alumni network. If you want to truly experience Nigeria, UNILAG is your best bet.

PAU is a private university. Most of the people you’ll meet there are from Nigeria’s middle class, it’s a healthy place to meet focused people. You’ll also meet focused people in UNILAG. I recommended both because they are right in the middle of Lagos, especially UNILAG.

Your other choices are Christian private universities like Covenant University, Bowen University, etc. They are however NOT in Lagos and are very religious institutions. Kenyans are not particularly religious people so I’m sure what goes on there will shock you.

I recommend UNILAG.

I lived in Roysambu. This used to happen in Roysa too.

It’s just Nigerians being Nigerians. They are confrontational, loud and may come off rude. They are also very nice and accommodating people. If you ever find yourself in an emergency, a Nigerian could drop everything to ensure you get better. So don’t be afraid :smiley:

Mombasa uh ?

I find Mombasa people quiet and reserved, that’s the exact opposite of what the average Nigerian is.