Is it right for Africans to give their children English names? Discuss

I found my true self when I stop people from calling me “Fred”. Its a name I feel it’s common to bad boys, players, wowanisers, great liars etc.

Since I started bearing Ese. I knew something changed. I have decided to name my kids with names from different African tribes.

Oya Adelaide, Somto, Farouq, Kesiena etc :smirk:

3 Likes

Well, it depends on you.
There’s no right or wrong answer for this; it’s up to the parent to give their child whatever name they want.
I have an English name but I would have loved a native name; so, me will give my child a native name.
Again, back to preference but the one I hate most is that ridiculous sounding English name like wth is someone’s name; beauty, desire,success

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong with the name “Fred” or with English names in general. Africans are free to give their children English names if they like. After all, in Nigeria, English is the universal language.

However, I feel parents should be encouraged to give their children native names to remind them of their origin and preserve their culture.

3 Likes

English name, native names, two sides of a coin. both has its advantages and disadvantages. I will use mine as an exaample. My native name is OLUWATONI, but most people mistake it for OLUWATOYIN when pronouncing, and these people include yoruba people o. Also my english/Bible name is DEBORAH but people turn it to a joke and say ZEBRA, when pronouncing( cos they feel I pronounce it using phonetics).
Long story short, give your children both native name and English name, let then decide when where and how they want to use which. As a parent you can stick with the native name you want till they are old enough to make the decision.

OK BYE

1 Like