My people and Her godfathers

Political games ending up in the decision of the already made cabals,men of timber and caliber,the inner circle,sitting in their round table,playing us as pawns on their chess board, deliberating and deciding our future,how terrific…

Ok let’s take it back to the Putney Debates.

At some point during the debate, Thomas Rainsborough says:

…I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live, as the greatest he; and therefore truly, Sir, I think it’s clear, that every man that is to live under a government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that government; and I do think that the poorest man in England is not bound in a strict sense to that government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

And then Henry Ireton responds:

…No person hath a right to an interest or share in the disposing of the affairs of the kingdom, and in determining or choosing those that shall determine what laws we shall be ruled by here — no person hath a right to this, that hath not a permanent fixed interest in this kingdom.

What do you think about this @Bola ?

Hi
I feel that means that everyone is not above the law irrespective of their standard of living and all citizens have a say in political moves and decisions e.g votes

Yes that’s roughly what Rainsborough meant. He meant to say that poor people should also have a right to vote, as they do today.

So what did Ireton mean ?

I think the literal meaning is that no one has the audacity to dispose or disagree the decision of the government as well as choosing who to rule if he/she has no permanent interest in the government :eyes:

True but define ‘permanent interest’ in the context of your opening post.

What makes the cabal, men of timber and caliber ?

The cabals got permanent interest, this which can be influenced by the love of their country or by their personal gain, which is the later in our own scene

Yes, but what does a permanent fixed interest translate to ?

When they say you have a permanent fixed interest in Nigeria, what do they mean exactly ?