The Nigeria Nostalgia Project - Pre Nigeria Discussion

Three Great Ijebu men. Awujale Adetona , Olori Adetona chief Adeola odutola the ogbeni Oja and Bishop kale at a function in Ijebu Ode 1969 Souce (Folarin Coker (1974). The Rt. Reverend Seth Irunsewe Kale)

Brigadier Alabi-Isama - Chief of Staff of 3 Marine Commando (3MCDO) chatting with some soldiers.

Date: unknown but supposedly during the Nigerian Civil War

Source: Pinterest & Nairaland

Ahmadu Bello being interviewed by the Northern Region Television, Kaduna in 1964.

Lagos lawyer Moronfolu Abayomi (Lady Abayomi’s first husband)in the 1920’s. Sadly, he was shot dead in Court two months after their marriage in 1923.

International Court of Justice - case concerning the Land and Maritime boundary between Cameroon and Nigeria (1999)

3.39 The origins of the name Bakassi itself are variously described. Traditionally, in Efik, it means “go early and arrive before dawn”.

However, the first Efik fisherman to establish his fishing hut in the forest region is traditionally thought to have been Abasi Eke, a native of Old Town or Obutong (part of present day Calabar).

The Efik at first cailed the forest Akai Abasi Eke (Abasi Eke Forest). The British sailors who frequented the area in the eighteenth century are said to have anglicised Abasi Eke to Bakassey.

3.40 The earliest Efik settlements in the region were sited at the northem end of Bakassi.

Arsibon’s Town, which became known as Archibong, was referred to as early as 1786 in Antera Duke’s Diary:" it was re-populated by Prince Asibong Edem III as his own family colony, in the early part of the 19th century.

3.41 Abana is situated on land which is traditionally held to have been given by King Orok Bassey Duke to his two brothers-in-law, Ntuen Umo and Ebe, who migrated from Esuk Mba (in present-day Akwa Ibom) over a hundred years ago.

The original settlement has, according to the Town & Country Planning Division, Department of Lands, Surveys and Town Planning, Calabar, been entirely submerged due to the incursion of the Cross River estuary.

The sand bars are visible during low ebb tide at the original site of Abana.

• Map of the Cross River estuary c. 1820, Calabar River to NE via wiki commons [The Diary of Antera Duke]

http://www.icj-cij.org/files/case-related/94/8602.pdf

Now I know! Thank you

Source of posts:

https://web.facebook.com/groups/PreNigeria/

George Adeniji Garrick

George’s father was Stanley David Garrick, a senior administrator and courtier to His Royal Highness Oba Akenzua II, and his paternal grandfather was J.D. Garrick, a Sierra Leone Creole catechist.

Educated at the government school in Benin City and King’s College, Lagos, from 1933-1938 where he was Head Boy, George enrolled at the University in 1944, aged 26, to study Medicine. He graduated MB ChB in 1952.

In 1938, Garrick established the Nigerian High Jump record with a clearance of 6 feet 3 and 1/2 inches during an athletic competition in Lagos. His record remained unbeaten for fourteen years and earned him national recognition.

In October 1946, he was awarded Athletics Blue, then, in 1947, he gained international honours representing Scotland against England and Ireland. Subsequently, he was appointed Captain of University Athletics for the 1948-49 season.

Cc @Yeye perhaps a descendant :thinking:

– wikipedia
University of Glasgow - universitystory.gla.ac.uk/biography/?id=WH24171&type=P

That’s my Grandpa - dad’s dad.

Are you serious?

Yes :100:

I think I see a resemblance… The eyes…

Wow!!! Your Grandpa was a legend…

King George Pepple Orugbeji (b. 1849 – d. 31 Oct 1888) ruled the Kingdom of Bonny, an independent trading state in the Niger Delta between 30 September 1866 and 14 December 1883, when he was deposed. After the
British signed a treaty making the state a protectorate, he was restored on 22 January 1887, ruling until his death.

Prince of Wales trip to Kano-1925

Source: gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b53147679b

Benin Coral 18thC

"This brass helmet is used in the Ododua ritual, in honour of the father of Oranmiyan, the legendary founder of the ruling dynasty. The dance is performed by seven masqueraders who wear brass helmets and carry ceremonial swords to signify their high status. They dance back and forth before the Oba seven times as a sign of their commitment and loyalty.

Acquired 1898, purchased from William Young

© The Trustees of the British Museum

Voyage of the prince of Wales-1925

Source: gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b531476978

Notes on a Journey through the Sokoto Empire and Borgu in 1894

It is not an easy matter to give in a half-hour paper any satisfactory description of an African journey extending over 2000 miles. Fortunately, before commencing these brief notes on my mission through the Fulah empire in 1894, I was told that a paper would be previously read by the student of the Hausa Association on his journey from the mouth of the Niger to Kano, and his residence there. I propose, therefore, to commence my notes at my departure from the town of Kano, and give such brief description as the time allotted to me permits of my journey thence to Wurnu, Gandu, and Boussa. I will remark, however, that while we were at Kano civil war held the entire province in its grasp. Every few days batches of prisoners were butchered in the market-place with the customary indignities to the dead, parts of the bodies being utilized as medicines and for poisoning arrows, and the remains left to the dogs and vultures. Numbers of women were strangled simply because they belonged to the rebel party without the town.

All this, combined with the simultaneous destruction of Kuka, the capital of the neighbouring kingdom of Bornu, by Rabba —better known in Europe as Rabba Zubehr —caused an almost entire cessation of the movement of Hausa caravans both from the east and north. As I shall have frequent occasion to mention the Wuziri or Grand Vizier of the Sokoto empire, I must also devote a few words to this important personage, who had been sent at that time to Kano by the Sultan of Sokoto to try and quell the civil war. It would have been useless, for the purposes of my mission, to proceed to Wurnu, the capital of the Sokoto empire, while the Grand Vizier was absent; so we arranged to travel thither together when his business in Kano was completed.

• photo from National Geographic 1956 William Wallace The Geographical Journal September 1896

A Grammar of the Yoruba Language by Samuel Crowther (1852)

The Kings of Yoruba

The Kings of Yoruba may be safely traced back to the time of Ajagbe, who reigned in Oyo (Katanga), and died at a very great age.

The time of his reign cannot now be ascertained. He was succeeded by Abiodun, who also enjoyed a long and peaceful reign, and died an old man.

The Elders of Yoruba always refer, in their conversation, to this last peaceful reign as a time of peculiar felicity, and one like which cannot again be enjoyed for a long time to come.

About this time the Felatas (called also Filani or Fulani) were only known in the country as shepherds and herdsmen.

They were permitted to feed their sheep and cattle wherever they liked, and generally lodged outside the towns in tents.

After the death of Abiodun, Arogangan, his brother, succeeded him.

Arogangan’s nephew, Afunja, born in Ilorin, whose father was a brave warrior, was made Are-Obba (King’s Chief Warrior), and was placed in Ilorin, the King thinking that Afunja, who otherwise would have been insubordinate, would be satisfied with this high post of honour ; but, instead of this, Afunja used every artifice that he could think of to dethrone Arogangan, that he might possess the kingdom.

The King, being aware of his designs, under pretence of offence given to him by the people of Iwere, the town of Abiodun’s mother, sent Afunja to war against it, making sure that by this means he should remove Afunja out of the way: but the matter turned out the reverse.

When Afunja got to Iwere, he told them that he was sent by Arogangan to fight against them.

They were surprised at this unexpected declaration.

Afunja was sent back ; and an army sent to demand Arogangan, and to fight against Oyo (Katanga),in case of refusal to deliver him up.

Oyo was besieged ; and Arogangan, dreading the consequence of falling into the hands of his besiegers, poisoned himself in the city; upon which the army departed from Oyo.

The beginning of his reign may be supposed to be about the year 1800.

He reigned seven years.