#This is Nigeria: I don’t understand how

It was a cold night while I walked through the street of Owo looking for dinner to buy. There was an unusual traffic on the next street, I saw a couple of people gather around with tons of security vehicles whose siren were making loud noises. I wondered what was happening as I was clueless about the whole event. I moved closer to see what was happening and I saw a woman who had been severely beaten up by an unknown person lying down lifeless. I stood with my mouth agape and I asked a young man standing next to me what had happened to the woman. He replied with a shaky voice “we came here twenty minutes ago when we saw a red car dumping her on the ground. Whilst we tried alerting some police patrol nearby, the man zoomed off. Till now we don’t know who the man was or the identity of the woman”. I could not believe what I just heard and I walked past remembering the words of the young man. I became scared and I lost appetite for dinner so I walked back to the house to get over what had just happened.
On my way home, some guys wearing black stood smoking cigarette and chattering from afar. I walked quietly passed them looking skeptical as their eyes were fixed on me. One of the guys who was taller than the rest approached me and stood in front of me to avoid my movement. I realized that he was drunk as his breath was ricking of alcohol. I am asthmatic and I began coughing due to the smoke that was oozing out of the cigarette he was puffing to my face. I was very scared and I greeted with a shaky voice “good evening”. He replied and asked why I was out so late at night. I explained I was looking for something to eat and I was captivated by the woman who was lying lifeless at the next street. He looked at me voraciously like he was about to pounce on me. Then he made a statement that shocked me. He said “This government is a corrupt one, everybody only care about themselves. I know about the murder. The Ashewo is my neighbor.” I was awed about the use of language on such a beautiful young woman. My mum once told me that in the mouth of a drunkard lies so many truth and I paid full attention to the confession of this drunkard standing to my face. He continued “She goes from one man to the other and she claims to be a second class graduate of Economics. I am very sure she stole from the man that killed her or he used her for juju. She deserves it.” He went further to explain that the reason why the security men could not attend to the matter was because the red car belonged to a person who is in authority. He explained that he was disappointed at the location where the servants dumped the body. Everything was too much for me to bear and I wondered if I would be able to sleep that night. I did not know what to say and he told me to go home and sleep in order not to be hurt. I was stunned at the nice gesture that came from him. I thanked him and I left. I did not say a word until I got home.
I laid down on my bed filled with so much thoughts as to the events that occurred that night and I made up my mind to do so many things. Whilst cracking my head on what to do, I remembered that I was a blogger who had a powerful tool in my hands which was the internet which can go a long way in addressing so many issues. I grabbed my phone and started typing about the incident that happened. I also wrote a public address to leaders that it may concern. I slept peacefully knowing that I had created awareness about the terrible situation at hand. I hoped that the leader would do something about corruptions, killings, lack of job opportunities and so many problems the community was facing.
“Bolatito wake up, you would be late for your lecture!” my roommate cried out loud in my ears. I realized that the time was 1:58pm and I had a 2pm class to attend. I asked my friend if she knew how long I had been asleep. She explained that I had slept for only three hours. Then I wondered if everything that happened was a dream. I explained all that happened the previous night and my friend told me that it was a dream. She said I read last night till the next morning to prepare for my test. While walking to class, I wondered what kind of dream that was. I opened my Instagram account only to see the write up I had written the night before (which happened to be my dream) all over my page. Students around me were really talking about the post. I went into my class and the lecturer was not available. My classmates were busying talking about the incident. My friend approached me and said “the anonymous person who wrote this article with the sad event portrayed had touched the heart of the leader of this community”. I was curious as to this and I googled the entire gist which had suddenly gone viral. The community leader put behind bars some police officers, a reputable man in the society and some thugs who did illicit acts. He said that these were the persons who makes the community inhabitable for people. The community leader set a date for youths who are interested in financial assistance for their businesses and youths who were interested in skill development. I did not fully understand what exactly was going on. Everything was happening too fast for me to understand.
My class did not hold and I walked back to my hostel to sort out the confusion in my head. I went to Dr Ige’s twitter page to see that he had addressed so many issues and he listed his plans to make the community a better place habitable for both the young and old. I was impressed about how my article had triggered the leader to take drastic measures in doing the right thing. He was barely three months into the office. I realized my huge love for this distinct leader even though I still don’t understand nor comprehend how the write up in my dream came into reality!

22 Likes

Ade OOOOOO. This write up though. It’s awesome.

1 Like

This is really interesting and I’d love to know what happens next. This is the best post I’ve read today. Awesome piece​:kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Nice write up

1 Like

This is a wonderful write-up. Keep it up!

1 Like

nice write up!

1 Like

This reminds me of the essays I used to write in secondary school. Keep working though

Wonderful write-up Bolatito​:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::volcano:

1 Like

@Mira @Judy @Drew @Onaopemipo @fola @W.O Show some love people. :raised_hands:

2 Likes

@Mopelola_Ariyo @Aniekan @Bobo @Tuhmehskeh @Reine @Valkyr @Peacehoney Show some love peeps

2 Likes

I was lost just after Bolatito woke up and realised it was a dream.

2 Likes

Love that I have already shown :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Apt

1 Like

Unbelievable

1 Like

This is really nice Adedamola, I’m pride in you #inJenifa’sVoice. Lol. I hope you win this baby

1 Like

Lovely

1 Like

Adedamola well done dear