#VLS: Waiting for You

_20180204_215026

It’s been 3years since Greg left Nigeria for his Masters degree abroad. In these 3years I’ve grown to accept that all the times we shared are in the past now and those words and feelings are long buried. He had promised to keep in touch, but he failed to keep his promise. I hurt, I cried, I healed and accepted that my first love doesn’t have to be my last love.

But the messages he’s been sending lately brings back memories that I so want to forget.

We were high school lovers, we lived in the same estate, and everyone called us love birds. Our love was the talk of our school and estate. His parents and mine soon became friends when they realized we were inseparable after several attempts to separate us. We used to steal kisses, take strolls with my dog Jack, and sit by the park in the estate. We played hide and seek games and used to swing together. I loved swinging, I still do. Going to different universities couldn’t tear us apart. We still managed to keep our love going till he left Nigeria.

I remember the night before he left, we stayed at the park till midnight, laughing kissing and talking about sweet nothings. I wanted to throw cautions to the wind and give up my virginity that night, but Greg told me he would wait that he wasn’t in a hurry to take what belongs to him. I remember the song we used to sing together “MY BOO by Alicia Keys and Usher” I used to think it was a silly song because I felt no one could ever take over my heart. But they say never say never.

Life had to go on. I met Dapo and he’s the sweetest guy I’ve ever known. He’s been talking about marriage and I think he would make a great husband.

I think about all these as I try to find sleep. Why did Greg send me that song again? I thought he had moved on and forgotten about me. There are memories coming back to me now I wish I could just forget. For the past 1year he had been keeping in touch and apologizing for going AWOL as opposed to what we talked about before he left. It’s like he opened fresh wounds I thought had healed. Dapo even noticed my absentmindedness, but I lied and blamed it on stress from work. Honestly Dapo has been a patient guy; every time we tried having sex it just wouldn’t work. He noticed my reactions and told me he would wait till our wedding night maybe. I thought giving it away would make me forget Greg but who am I deceiving? I had also tried dating other guys but it didn’t work out.

“I’ll be home next week Bisi. I can’t wait to see you again after all these years. I know you’re still as beautiful as ever with extra curves in the right places. I’m sorry for everything my love. Please find a place in your heart to forgive me. I was being a real jerk and so stupid. I know I hurt you and I’ll make it up to you soon.
Yours truly, Greg.”

I read and reread the message he sent me and yearned for him once again. God what is this? What is happening to me? I don’t want to break Dapo’s heart. I cry till I fall asleep.
I’ve been unable to eat since I heard that Greg was coming home. I even saw his mum and sister in church last Sunday and they invited me to the surprise welcome party they would be throwing at their house. I wish I wouldn’t go. After our breakup, my family and his still kept that relationship we had before he left. Sometimes I wish I could move houses so I would forget every memory of him, but a 26year old single girl living alone is another thing that people frown at in this part of the world. Besides, my dad won’t allow it.

1 week Later…
I’m sitting with other close friends and family at Greg’s parents. My mum persuaded me to go out of courtesy. I’m wearing a little red dress; Greg always loved me in red. I double checked to be sure I looked smashing hot so he would know what he missed. We are waiting for the driver to return from the airport with Greg. Suddenly we hear the honk of the car, my heart skips a beat, and I’m feeling nervous. We all walk out to welcome him. Greg steps out of the car and looks straight at me. He’s looking shocked and surprised and suddenly I can’t breathe. He is looking even more handsome than ever before in a plain Tee and blue jeans, looking more mature, just how I pictured. I pretend like I’m not happy to see him, I could hear his mum and sister’s shout of joy somewhere at the background because they sound so distant to me now. But I didn’t expect that he would sweep me off my feet in a warm embrace. He squeezes me so tight and wets my face in kisses, those kisses I’ve missed. We’re both in tears now; I can’t recognize my own voice as I sob uncontrollably. He keeps whispering in my ears “I’m so sorry baby, I’m so sorry.” I want to push him away in that moment but he holds on to me so tight, I feel like he would crush me. We forget about everyone around us as we kiss, the sweetest kiss ever, his lips taste so familiar like our first kiss. I can hear his heart beat so fast and here I know in my heart of hearts that I was secretly waiting for Greg to return back to me. But it was a very painful and long wait.

~ The End ~

@Mira @pretyprexy @alan.davies @Precious_Chika_Danie @W.O @abnetz @NaijaLander @ebena107 @evansakanno @Ennmae @Echelon @KolapoImam @KubasuInyanya @Kachie @Kiitan @fola @Yeye @Aje @Onaopemipo @boluakindele @Zoe @Drew @aribim @ButterrFingers @Udy_Inyang @Valkyr @oluwakemisola @Oluwakorede @theunofficialomotayo @Tuhmehskeh @Ms_aijohi @Debbie @habeebsanni @iamed @iamtosyne @ganoris @Aniekan @Anniekaso @Pele_Escobar @Peacehoney @Patrickudo2004 @Otumininu @Otseluv @Youralibi1 @geezybee @ogeh47 @opisthocranium @Segzee @seniorgirl @atynukeh @Mopelola_Ariyo @Kent @afolabiabass @aderinsola_adeoye @Bamidele_Abodunrin @xoxo @nifex007 @Sucre @Supergirl @Sugar @jyde247 @Monique @Morris @MademoiselleK @gokzee @Goldek @londpaulbarap @maikel_Coker

You people shu coman read love story oh :joy::joy::joy:

61 Likes

A true life story?

1 Like

Let me take my time and read it. You have my vote already. :wink:

1 Like

:sweat:

I made sure I didn’t exceed 1000 words…twas tougher than I thought. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Same here, baby. I even erased the story I wrote earlier because it was too long, plus it was a sad fictitious love story.

I just changed the storyline, and made it shorter. :blush:

1 Like

Welldone!

1 Like

Oshey baddest :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

1 Like

Wow. …

1 Like

Come and teach me how to write story o :sob::sob::sob: This is beautiful :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

3 Likes

Nollywood blockbuster, hmm this na Love oh. let me go and get my binoculars to read again and maybe i can share my own opinion.

2 Likes

Nice

1 Like

@Mira epp me tag others oh, my fingers are tired already :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

1 Like

At your service, ma. I will do just that.

1 Like

You’re a darling :kissing_heart::kissing_heart: thank you.

2 Likes

Awwl! Just one paragragh and i mushy already.

2 Likes

Even though you no call me. I go still do aproko and chuck mouth because I love a good story.

2 Likes

@kammy @Samyukabi @ruthameh125 @maikel_Coker @ButterrFingers @t2pitchy @Tobydonut @Temidayo @titemitayo @Oluwaseun1 @Oluwarufus @oluwakemisola
@Nire @Nonso_Azike

1 Like

Oya just like the story already plix @nifex007. Tan q :blush:

I thought I called you. Sorry. So tell me what you think of it. My creative juices are flowing :grin:

2 Likes