What Would You Give Your Child, Nigerian Or English Name?

@pretyprexy and I had a chilled chat this morning about naming babies. would you give your child English names like Kimberley, Stacey, Tom or Native names like Osazie, Yeside,Ngozi, Fola :grin:?

For me, just Yoruba names is fine for my kids, I don’t like the fact that we’re all shifting away from our roots, I feel a persons name should say a lot about them(where they come from, and things like that). I get that people give their kids English name for easy pronunciation and some other reasons.

Would you rather give your child native or English names, state your reasons?

If both state give your reasons?

4 Likes

Yoruba name of course.

For me, it’s a combination of both, 1 english and 1 native names. The world is global

6 Likes

Cute Yoruba names. #ForTheCulture

5 Likes

I was saying the same thing too o. We forget that english names are native names of the english people… I’m giving them Both sha, but the Native name would be dominant… or i will just do one greek name like that

4 Likes

Native names as first names and then English names as middle names. This is because they have to identify with their culture and Nigerian origin. Then English names because we all as Nigerians speak English. It is our official Language and its what everyone would generally identify with.

5 Likes

Hubby will decide that.
I’m indifferent.

But no long names,

I already hate that my name is so long (4 syllables to pronounce it well) and it’s not even complete. My dad cut it short, thankfully.

2 Likes

In don’t see a reason why a baby can’t have both. DAT is why dere is room for more than. English o, Yoruba o, they all play their roles. I don’t think anyone Is more important than the other

1 Like

What is your fuul name if I may ask

1 Like

My name is Aniekan

But the full name originally is AniekanAbasi

Or may be French
Wud love to name my child AIMÉ, French for beloved. Sounds better for a female though

1 Like

I don’t understand you… did you read my post cos i don’t get what you are trying to say

I was trying to add to what u said. Sory d message was passed wrongly

2 Likes

oh that’s fine

1 Like

Both cos I have both…
My husband & I will agree on the one the child will be called

1 Like

I’ll do both… Because i want to and i love it…

No matter how much we form we love our country, English language is already a part of us ni…

I’ll do both… Even tho i’ll love to call my kids their native names sha…but they must have all…

1 Like

Exactly. English is our official language

2 Likes

I will give my children all the names, igbo, hausa and yoruba…o tan!!!

8 Likes

Me and hubby will decide that but it will be both names and we choose the one that comes first.

1 Like

Abi na​:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like