Why does God allow us go through trials and temptations?

I’m having a conversation with a friend and this came up:

Why do we go through trials and temptations?

Is it because God wants to make us suffer for our sins when we fall short?

Or God makes us to go through this because he wants us to be better?

Answers…

@spicy @Ajikem @Rosy @Hariyike @hanotuweli @Dunmininu @pascalumeze @Mimiano_7 @Diamond @648f38d3cc3e5fb90857 @bukkybee @solo973 @tolulopeolatunji47 @mark_hoit @Fidelis_Msc @evugbolo @suleyoonus @toluwalasecaleb @kibachayikre @peter20740 @Bakare_Muyidine_Ade @Temmy @Treasure @cakanno @Gladi @nekpenohenhen @mekuziuz @arik @saheedganiyu73 @sundayokoi @pascalumeze @fola @techie @aje @NaijaLander @Udy_Inyang @odideoluwa @suzy @Aniekan @judy @atynukeh @ayoola @Yeye @ganoris @Mesmerizer @Duchessbee @Aje @NaijaLander @godmira @Milez @Kiitan @umoboho @Udy_Inyang @jerrad @walexblom @ebena107 @Ezinne_Joan @ericksen @ruthameh125 @Reine @Rachel @revolutionarypetunia @theunofficialomotayo @TosinAdekoya @taiwolusol @tomiabe @Yaduwo @yvonne @Yemmie @Yetunde @Ucheya @iamtosyne @Ifunanya_Nwamu @Iametefia @iamweird @iamodao @ifynkwo47 @Oboh @Oluwaseun1 @odehsamson @Orella @Olaoluwa_Eluwande @oluwhummie @Peter_Abu @peterillustrates @Patrickudo2004 @Pee4Preye @precious2 @abbieng @Adebayo_Adeola @akhibialfred @shonibarelawrence @sayo @spicy @psalmmiii @Darryice @Debbie @femzy @Funmzyadex @firstjohn @Grace_Olunloyo @Hybraih @Highbekay @Holarwales @joelamawhe @lexyhugo @lawrencejuliana37 @lauragift21 @Zeus @Zenoblaq @chinenye @codepoetpro @Coker_Oluwafemi @cassareknow @segsalerty @boremitipoto @BLIKSY @yvonne @Femi-Williamz @felicityogbonna @psalmmiii @yvonne @egbeyemiridwan @ericksen @jasmine

What u do while going through those trials matters a lot. I believe trials are meant to make us stronger and wiser

9 Likes

Exactly what we learnt in church today.
Gold has to pass through the fire (very hot blazing furnace) to become valuable, strong and real GOLD.

Some trials we face are a refining process to make us stronger and better

9 Likes

Exactly…trials and travails are just setbacks, they make us appreciate life better

4 Likes

Thank you… :v:

1 Like

But others come to us as a result of sins… Right?

1 Like

True…

Those ones are consequences or punishment
Not necessarily trials and temptations.

Some also come from agents of darkness.
We need the spirit of discernment so we understand which we are facing

1 Like

You see questions and mindsets like this, it’s as a result of our culture of not believing new testament revelations and realities.

First. God is in absolutely no control over what one does, That’s the definition of having freewill.

Second, The epistles clearly answered this question.

James 1:13 Amplified Bible (AMP)
13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God” [for temptation does not originate from God, but from our own flaws]; for God cannot be tempted by [what is] evil, and He Himself tempts no one.

God does not test someone, He doesn’t tempt man. If God does any of those, what does the devil the accuser do?

Also, any issue that is not good, does not come from God. No matter the pastor or reverend who tells you otherwise.

James 1:17 Amplified Bible (AMP)
17 Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above; it comes down from the Father of lights [the Creator and Sustainer of the heavens], in whom there is no variation [no rising or setting] or shadow [a]cast by His turning [for He is perfect and never changes].

Most people site Job as an example of God “testing man” but that is plain wrong. As much as it’s hard to believe, the new testament shows us that no one actually knew God in the old testament. After preachers quote Job 1, they refuse to quote the ending of Job where he repented from his thoughts

1Then Job answered the LORD and said:

2“I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
3‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
4‘Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
5I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
6therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.”

After all the rantings of Job accusing God of being responsible for his afflictions, he took them back at the end of his book because he found out he didn’t know God.

The old testament will make you see God as one tyrannical dictator that does as he wills. He can decide to kill all your children to “test” you. The old testament also tells us he is a “jealous God” but in the new testament, we see that jealousy is a sin and if it really was an attribute of God, it would have been amongst the fruits of the spirit

Also, same way some preachers call God “The God of fire” because Elijah called down fire and then killed his “enemies”. In the old testament where no one actually knew God, that was some “godly” feat but after God came as Jesus, we found out it was wrong

52And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. 53And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. 54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? 55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.

Despite the fact that Elijah did it and the apostles were citing him, it’s evident that Jesus would have rebuked Elijah if he was there too

That should show you that because it appears in the bible, it isn’t always correct. First it has to be seen in Jesus then it has to be expanded in the epistles.

Jesus never tested or tried anybody. The epistles explain that he can’t do it.
God cannot, has never, will never test or try anybody.

Whatever negative situation you are going through, look for something or someone else to attribute it to because it has nothing to do with God as he has no negative of any sort in him.
The devil is and has always been the tempter/trier Matt 4:3

I’ll suggest you download and listen to ALL THE SERIES OF “SO GREAT SALVATION & THE LAW IN GENESIS” on Livingwordmedia from Pastor Onayinka Olusegun (saints community)
For more clarifications, read the bible in the light of Christ

1 Like

2 Corinthians 4: 17
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;…
Can you help me understand this…

2 Corinthians 4:17 Amplified Bible (AMP)
17 For our momentary, light distress [this passing trouble] is producing for us an eternal weight of glory [a fullness] beyond all measure [surpassing all comparisons, a transcendent splendor and an endless blessedness]!

I think AMP version is very clear

or this

2 Corinthians 4:17-18 The Message (MSG)
16-18 So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever

1 Like

This is true. God doesn’t tempt however, he can permit you to be tempted; sometimes so our faith can be increased.
Secondly, God did not tempt Job. However, he permitted for Job to be tempted (Job 1:12). He did this to prove to satan that Job was overly loyal to God.
Then for the part of Elijah, he showed his human nature by calling down fire and also his calling/destiny was different from that of Jesus as seen in Luke 9:52-55. The reasons (I believe) Jesus rebuked the disciples were
1.) They had walked with Jesus and did not fully understand his ways (His meekness, gentleness and submissive spirit).
2.) They were standing as hindrance to the fulfillment of his destiny (his death, burial and resurrection). So v.56 ‘where he said he was not come to destroy their lives but to save them’ was simply a coded or implied way of saying 'I have not come to earth to destroy them for their sins (destroy their lives) but to die for their sins (save them) . This is backed up by Luke 9:51a .
Lastly, the bible doesn’t have any wrong chapter or verse (or even word). Each word performs different functions. The only thing is that people twist or use it wrongly. All scriptures is given by inspiration…for… 2 Tim: 3:16.
P.S: This is just my own little understanding/view of the topic

1 Like

That is the issue. God did not permit Job to be tempted. Remember, Job was saying all these despite the fact he didn’t know God.

He thought God let the devil tempt him because he didn’t want to say God was the one responsible for his woes.

How can we call God a “good” god if he can “permit” the devil to tempt one.

Remember, Jesus was tempted without God “permitting” the devil. Peter was also. Joseph also.

Again. Job didn’t know God from the first chapter to the second to the last chapter (which he later repented and asked to know God in the last chapter)

1 Like

Hello @Morris did you read your bible to understand the stuffs you’re writing or your write-up is based on something you read/teachings?

I’m really curious to know

1 Like

You said Job didn’t know God

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
Job 1:1

Please explain :point_up_2:

And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
Job 1:8

God permitted the devil to test him, to do whatever he wanted but not touch his life.

Then Satan answered the Lord , “Does Job fear God for nothing? Have You not put a hedge [of protection] around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands [and conferred prosperity and happiness upon him], and his possessions have increased in the land. But put forth Your hand now and touch (destroy) all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face.” Then the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that Job has is in your power, only do not put your hand on the man himself.” So Satan departed from the presence of the Lord
JOB 1:9‭-‬12

Job 1:13-22; after Job received the news about the death of his children, the bible recorder that he tore his clothes, shaves his head, fell to the ground and worshipped God. He still didn’t sin or blame God.

So what ‘god’ was he worshipping cos you claim he didn’t know God from the first chapter to the second to the last chapter.

1 Like

@Valkyr Fada you’re needed here biko.

Oh, I forgot you’re not a reader but a believer in your words :grin:

1 Like

My thoughts exactly

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: @Valkyr see ya life outside.

:joy::joy:

Hmmmm… Morris Morris.

Please how did you come to the conclusion that Job didn’t know God from the first chapter to the second to the last chapter (which he later repented and asked to know God in the last chapter)??

1 Like